Why Choose Dobie
Dobie’s Outpatient Therapy Clinic features state-of-the-art equipment and a diverse team of highly skilled professionals. Our team works together to focus on your recovery, offering a variety of innovative approaches & therapies including physical, occupational, speech, warm water aquatic and prehab. Patients receive the individualized care for their entire appointment, motivation, and support to achieve the best possible results for the highest level of functioning.
How We Can Help
- Upper & lower extremity orthopedic conditions
- Cervical neck pain
- Back pain or strain
- Strength & endurance
- Vertigo & dizziness
- Neurological disorders
- Pre & post-operative conditions
- Fine & gross motor coordination
- Range of motion
- Edema management
- Cognitive testing & treatment
- Training with adaptive equipment
- Energy conservation & joint protection techniques
- Activities of daily living analysis & training
- LSVT BIG therapy (helping to increase amplitude for Parkinson’s patients).
- Aphasia (word finding & conversation skills)
- Dysphagia (swallowing & eating skills)
- Dysarthria (slurred speech)
- Breath support
- Difficulty eating
- VitalStim Therapy
- LSVT Loud Therapy (vocal quality and loudness)
- Assessment & training in alternative communication devices
- Support for those suffering from Parkinson’s
- Multiple Sclerosis & Cerebral Palsy.
- Increased memory capacity
- Increased safety awareness
- Strategies for planning-organizing & completion of daily tasks
- Money management
- Medication management
- Increased communication skills.
Warm Water Aquatic Therapy
The pool at Dobie features an underwater treadmill and a water temperature that is kept between 90 and 94 degrees. Our pool deck and air temperature are also heated – adding to your overall comfort. Research has shown that therapy and/or exercise in a warm water pool helps:
- Increase blood flow
- Decrease pain
- Reduce swelling
- Relax stiff joints
- Increase balance
- Increase awareness of movement
- Reduce muscle guarding
Warm water therapy and exercise is beneficial for those with:
- Back pain
- Joint pain
- Leg swelling
- Balance problems
- Those with a history of falls
Offroad Driving Assessments
Concerned with driving safety? Dobie’s off-road driving assessment provides physicians and family members with information to help determine if a patient or loved one still has the ability to operate a motor vehicle safely. The assessment will review:
- Reaction Time
- Hand/Eye Coordination
- Range of Motion
- Sensory skills
- Visual Acuity
- Motor Sequencing
- Acceleration & braking skills
- Drive Home Maze Test
- Cognitive Screening
- Hearing Screening
- Road law & executive function
Upon completion of the driving assessment, a full report will be provided to you.
The cost of our driving assessment is $225.00
- Prehab is when a patient seeks therapy BEFORE surgery to improve outcomes, shorten recovery time, lessen pain and require less post-op therapy.
- A prescription from your physician is required for Prehab, and is typically recommended 6 weeks prior to your surgery date. Here at Dobie we offer several options for Prehab to choose from:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Health Coaching
- Diet Information
- Warm Water Aquatic classes
- Prehab is usually covered by insurance including Medicare. Give us a call for more information!
Meet Our Team
Outpatient Therapy and Wellness Administrator
Kate Hodgkins is the Outpatient Therapy and Wellness Administrator and has been at Dobie Road for nearly 7 years. She previously worked as a rehab social worker here. Kate has her bachelor’s degree in family studies from Central Michigan University, and her master’s in social work with an emphasis on organization and community leadership from Michigan State University. Currently, she is working towards her MSW Licensure. Kate thoroughly enjoys working with older adults and enjoys working with others on taking care of themselves. She believes in giving back to the community.
Scott studied pre-med at Albion college. After deciding pre-med wasn’t for him Scott changed direction, finishing his studies at Kellogg College as at Physical Therapy Assistant. Scott has been working as a Director of Rehabilitation Services for approximately 17 years and began at Dobie in 2017. Scott loves working at Dobie because of the dedication of all Dobie staff in doing the best for our residents.
Business Development Director
Kristen has worked at Dobie Road since 2005 and has a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations and Marketing from Michigan State University; she also has a nursing degree from Jackson College. Kristen and her husband have two college aged boys and enjoy traveling and spending time with them.
Kristen began her career at Dobie working midnights as a floor nurse and worked her way up becoming the Medical Records auditing nurse, the Infection Control Nurse and eventually one of the restorative nursing supervisors. When the Marketing & Business Development Director position was established in 2014, Kristen truly felt as though this was her “dream” job and a perfect fit for her and has thoroughly enjoyed it since.
Kristen loves working at Dobie Road because believes and lives the mission of improving lives. “It’s easy to promote and market an establishment like ICMCF because from our staff to our core values – we are the best around!”
Outpatient Therapy and Wellness Assistant
Amy Robertson has a bachelor’s in health science From Kaplan University. Amy and her husband have 2 kids, a girl and a boy, along with two dogs and a cat.
Amy worked at Dobie as an RA/CNA after high school for 3 years before spending 8 years as a military wife traveling the world. Upon returning home, Amy worked at Origami Brain injury Rehab center as a direct care worker until she decided she wanted to come back to Dobie and since 2016 has been our outpatient and wellness assistant.
Amy loves working for Dobie because it is a loving and supporting place to work, where the staff dedicates themselves to ensuring the best quality care. Amy also enjoys spending time with her family and reading.